Our Family
Genealogy Pages

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames
Search
First Name:


Last Name:



Sir Duncan "Na-Adh" (Fortunate or Prosperous) Campbell, of Lochow, 1st Lord Campbell of Argyll[1]

Male 1364 - 1453  (89 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Duncan "Na-Adh" (Fortunate or Prosperous) Campbell  [2, 3
    Prefix Sir 
    Suffix of Lochow, 1st Lord Campbell of Argyll 
    Nickname Na-Adh 
    Born 1364  Lochow, Argyllshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Occupation Justiciar of Argyll 
    Died 1453  [2, 3
    Buried Kilmun, Argyllshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I919  Ghillebride
    Last Modified 2 Apr 2020 

    Family 1 Marjory (Marcellina) Stewart,   b. Abt 1375,   d. Bef Aug 1432  (Age ~ 57 years) 
    Married 6 Feb 1392  Lorn, Argyllshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 4
    Children 
     1. dau. Campbell,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Archibald Campbell, Master of Campbell,   b. 1382,   d. Bef Mar 1446, Dvp - Predeceased His Father Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years)
    Last Modified 24 Aug 2015 
    Family ID F501  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Margaret Stewart,   b. 7 Apr 1397, Lochow, Argyllshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 4 Mar 1460  (Age 62 years) 
    Married 12 Mar 1439-1440  [2
    Last Modified 24 Aug 2015 
    Family ID F941  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • 1 - He was the last Knight of Lochow, advanced to title Lord Campbell (1445), designed Lord Camille in charter 22 June 1452, by King James II of Kenlochrowel in Cowal.
      Originally the Glenorchy area was inhabited by Clan MacGregor but as they held the land "under god" and had no charter from the King, confirming it, Duncan, Lord Campbell of Argyll managed to claim and recieve the land by royal charter.
      Kilchurn is the original castle of the Glenurchy and Breadalbane Campbells.
      The castle stands upon a low plateau of rock at the end of a level spit of marshy land which intrudes into the northeastern end of Lochawe. On the northwest side of the spit, the River Orchy enters the loch. The water level of the loch was originally higher, flooding the spit and forming an island upon which the castle stood.
      The plan of the castle is roughly rectangular with the width running southwest to northeast and with the southern corner cut of on a diagonal. The earliest surviving part is the keep or Tower House, the main part of which was built between 1440 and 1460 when the plateau was probably enclosed with a barmkin wall of which only the southern diagonal portion remains.
      The tower stands in the eastern corner of the courtyard. The entrance was through the vaulted ground floor of the tower. Above was the Great Hall which had a wooden ceiling which would not have been as ornate as the later ceilings at Carnassarie. Above the hall were two more stories of rooms and a garret which gave onto a parapet walk.
      Towards the turn of the 15th to 16th centuries a Laich Hall or large dining hall was built along the inside of the south diagonal wall of the courtyard with one end near the tower, no doubt because the Hall in the tower was too small for the retainers and guests of the family. About a century later a second storey was added to this hall. However, little now remains of the Laich Hall.
      During the third quarter of the sixteenth century the tower parapet and roof-house were remodeled and circular corner turrets added. A further addition was made to the north side of the tower, evidently private chambers, but of this later work nothing identifiable remains. In 1616 the newly heightened Laich Hall was joined to the Tower House by a new range containing two vaulted cellars over which were a chapel and attic.
      The final phase of construction was carried out by the first Earl of Breadalbane. Round towers were added to the north, south and west corners of the heightened barmkin wall and a range of barracks built along the northwest side and linked to the tower by an angle at the northeastern end. A new stair tower was added to provide more gracious access to the southwest side of the Tower House.
      The castle seems to have been little used after it was garrisoned in the 1745 Jacobite rising. Evidently the tower was struck with lightening in the early 1770s after which no repairs were carried out to the roof and the fabric rapidly deteriorated. Some masonry repairs were crudely done after 1887 but these unfortunately destroyed or obliterated some original features. The masonry of the whole structure was re-pointed in recent years.
      Colin of Glenorchy's father-in-law, John Stewart Lord of Lorne, signed a charter in 1449
      apud castrum de Glenurquhay' (at the castle of Glenorchy) so that by that date some form of castle had been built on the site, possibly in the form of the Tower House and barmkin.
      Sir Colin's son, Sir Duncan, added the Laich Hall and his grandson, another Sir Colin (1550-1583), who had succeeded two elder brothers and so was 6th of Glenorchy, built four angle turrets and the north wing to the Tower House. The 3rd and 4th Lairds had died in the castle in 1523 and 1536, so it is clear that Kilchurn was the principal home of the Campbells of Glenorchy for about an hundred years.
      Then, in the second half of the 16th century, the family increasingly lived at Fincharn on their Perthshire estates. Until Sir Duncan's violent feud with the MacGregors of Glenstrae in the first decade of the 17th century, there was a line of MacGregors appointed as Keepers of Kilchurn. Sir Duncan, who succeeded on his father's death in 1583, was made a Baronet in 1625 and died in 1631, having made fairly extensive improvements to the castle.
      Besides building several other tower houses from Barcaldine to Balloch (now Taymouth), Sir Duncan
      of the seven castles' put a second floor onto the Laich Hall at Kilchurn and joined it to the tower with a further range which included the chapel and stair to the courtyard.
      The castle was briefly besieged in 1654 and was garrisoned by Sir John of Glenorchy, 1st Earl of Breadalbane, in support of the government action against the 9th Earl of Argyll's invasion of 1685. The barracks on the north side of the courtyard were added in the 1690s and used in 1708, 1715 and 1745.
      St Mun's Church at Kilmun dates back to 1442, when it was endowed by Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochow, The church was linked to Paisley Abbey, and the square tower which stands alone is part of the original building. The church also contains the Campbell family vault.

      2 - The Campbell knights of Glenorchy who later became Earls and then Marquises of Breadalbane, expanded their estates eastwards into Strathtay, becoming for a time almost as powerful as the Earls and Dukes of Argyll. But towards the end of the 19th century a decline set in through gambling and poor management which has resulted in the loss of all the lands and the destitution of the family. Kilchurn was the last to go, sold in the 1980s to a romantic consortium after 500 years.
      Subsequently he gave Glenorchy to his younger son, Sir Calein Dubh - Black Colin, 1st laird of Glenorchy. The same fate was duly shared by Glenlyon.
      Sir Duncan Campbell, Lord of Argyll, Knight, 1st Lord Campbell, succeeded his father between 1412 and 1414, a hostage for the redemption of King James I from his captivity in England 1424, Justiciar (A high judicial officer in medieval England) of Argyll, was raised to the peerage as a Lord of Parliament in 1445. He married 1st Marcelline (or Marjory), daughter of Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, Regent of Scotland, by his 1st wife Margaret, Countess of Menteith (s.j.), and by her (who died before August 1432) had issue:
      ..A1 Archibald (or Gillespie or Celestin)
      He married 2nd ante 12 Mar 1439/40 Margaret dtr of Sir John Stewart of Blackhall and Ardgowan, bastard son of King Robert III, and died 1453 having by her had further issue:
      ..A2 Colin Campbell of Glenurchy, Baron of Lawers, Knight, ancestor of the Campbells of Glenurchy, of Lawers, of Glenlyon, of Monzie, of Barcaldine, and of Breadalbane.
      ..A3 Neil Campbell of Ormidale, progenitor of the Campbells of Ormidale.
      ..A4 Duncan Campbell of Kilmichael, ancestor of the Campbells of Auchinbreck.
      ..A5 Archibald Campbell, ancestor of the first Campbells of Otter

      3 - He was known as "Abn Adh", "the Fortunate". He was the first of the family to assume the designation of Argyll, was Lord Campbell prior to 1427, married
      1st - Marjory Stewart, the daughter of Regent Robert, Duke of Albany by whom he had three sons - Celestine, who died before him; Archibald, who also predeceased him, but left a son; and Colin, who was the first of Glenorchy, and ancestor of the Breadalbane family.
      2nd - Margaret Stewart, daughter of Sir John Stewart of Blackhall and Auchingown or Ardgowan on the Clyde in Renfrewshire (natural son of Robert III.) They had three sons, namely, Duncan, who according to Crawford, was the ancestor of the house of Auchinbreck, of whom are the Campbells of Glencardel, Glensaddel, Kildurkland, Kilmorie, Wester Keams, Kilberry and Dana; Neil, progenitor, according to Crawford, of the Campbells of Ellengreig and Ormadale; and Arthur or Archibald, ancestor of the Campbells of Ottar, now extinct. According to some authorities, the Campbells of Auchinbreck and their cadets, also Ellengreig and Ormadal, descend from this the youngest son, and not from his brothers.
      He was one of the hostages taken in 1424 to guarantee the payment of the sum of

  • Sources 
    1. [S521] http://www.baronage.co.uk/bphtm-03/campbe01.html.

    2. [S6] Stirnet Genealogy, Peter Barns-Graham, Stewart16: Burkes Peerage 1934 (Shaw-Stewart) with inpu t o n the early generations from www.baronage.co.uk/bphtm-0 3/ar dgowan.html.

    3. [S6] Stirnet Genealogy, Peter Barns-Graham, Stewart06 : The Scots Peerage (Methven), Burkes Extinct Pe e rages 1883 (Stewart-various).

    4. [S5] International Genealogical Index - submitted, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Submission Search: 570414-093099155422 LDS Medieval Famil i es Unit.